Automatically maintains a steady low speed by controlling both the engine output and the vehicle braking across challenging terrain. This feature is a worldwide first for Toyota.
How does it work?
When travelling on surfaces such as rocks, sand or steep hills, Crawl Control manages the engine and brakes with no driver input so as to maintain very low and uniform speed with minimal spinning or locking of the wheels.
There are three different speeds available between approximately 1km/h and 5 km/h that the driver selects with a simple flick of a switch.
A light on the instrument cluster illuminates when the system is switched on, whilst the slip indicator flashes to show when the system is operating.
Driving with Crawl Control active is completely ‘feet off’.
- The driver is free to concentrate on steering the vehicle whilst the system delivers maximum control and stability
- Increased driver safety and reduced driver effort required in off-road driving
- Wear on the drive train is reduced compared to manual control reducing lifetime maintenance costs
- The system can often extract a vehicle that has become stuck where manual techniques fail
- Terrain damage is minimised reducing the environmental impact of the vehicle
Read more about Toyota's safety rating results on the Euro NCAP website.